Evaluated Thoughts

Friday, May 6, 2011

Just like Robert Gu

The novel Rainbows End connects to readers because we are all finding ourselves in the same situation as Robert Gu, a man who doesn't want to face the technologically changing times.

I really felt that feeling just a year ago when I cam back from serving a mission in a country that was also "technologically behind". When I came home, it seemed like everyone had "smart" phones--even my mom had a Blackberry and could text which she couldn't do at all when I had left-- and for me who was used to just using a basic cell phone, with no texting and no checking my email multiple times I day, I refused to buy a fancy phone because I felt it was completely unnecessary. Sadly, just like Robert Gu realizing that "wearing" would really help him interact with the world around him, I bought a new smart phone just a couple weeks ago after months of sometimes missing important emails about class, work, etc. because I was away from a computer. It's sad, but true.

The scene that I haven't stopped thinking about these last few days (probably because I am also reading The Case For Books) is the library scene and how it affects Robert. It upset me too, and even before Robert referenced the sci-fi novel (one that I have serious issues with and hold it against all science fiction--but that's another story) Farenheit 451. I read that book in the 8th grade, and I think I hated it because of the ideas it was suggesting. And yet, now, after seeing what has become of technology, novels like Rainbows End and Farenheit 451 make more sense. I see what these writers are putting out there. It's kind of weird and kind of scary to think about.

I feel bad for Robert Gu because he is seen as a fool for wishing to keep his few remaining novels which are precious to him. A lot of us are still like him and we're not to that ultimate point yet where tangible books will be a thing of the past. But it's happening. I have a Kindle, and right now I only use it for school because I still enjoy reading tangible books. But I hate to say it: I don't know how long this will last.

Overall, the Robert Gu storyline in the novel is what I really connected with in this book. I'm not a sci-fi lover, so all the other technical mumbo jumbo was interesting, but still, not really my cup of tea. But I appreciate the Gu family plot line that Vernor Vinge created because as I have been reading it and discussing it in class, it has helped me see what one of the purposes of science fiction is: to show us what our society could become like based on the current trends.

It's fascinating and scary all at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. It kind of begs the question: "Will there be a place for hard copies of any technology in the future?" With services like e-books and netflix and itunes how many people will want to take up space with the hard copies of their favorite forms of entertainment and information? I think that I will always like having the book or the DVD, but I don't remember the last time I actually bought a CD. With my iPod I rarely use the barbaric compact disc anymore. Will I soon stop using DVD's? I already have my TV connected to my computer and sometimes watch videos from my computer through my TV.
    Bill Gates and others predict that very soon everything will be digital. I am still skeptical about that. It is so easy for a hacker or a failure to erase data that I feel more comfortable having hard copies of movies that I own, and nothing beats the feel of a book in your hand.
    I think that in the long run we will move to mostly digital copies, but there will always be a place for the physical experience. Humans like "touchy-feely," it gives more satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stanislaw Lem, a Polish science fiction writer said that the purpose of science fiction was to create situations that force us to think about human dilemmas in a way that we never have before. Even though it is not the most well written book, Fahrenheit 451 has become very popular because it does just that. I would implore you not to judge all science fiction (or even all of Ray Bradbury's work) by Fahrenheit 451. Some of it (including books by Kurt Vonnegut and HG Wells) is thought provoking and well written.

    BTW, by my standards The Hunger Games was sci-fi and I thought you loved those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sam in the sense that I don't think books (physical books) will ever disappear. However, I think that they way that we live now is just temporary and things will change. Hundreds of years ago not everyone had access to books but now they are accessible to all, easily too. I think the idea in Rainbows End about turning books into digital versions is a great idea. The reason being is because books then can be readily accessible. However, the physical books will still remain because of the books lovers.

    ReplyDelete

Just finished

Annie's bookshelf: read

The Bluest EyeSulaThe GiverThe Devil Wears PradaEnder's GameFahrenheit 451

More of Annie's books »
Annie's  book recommendations, reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists
Powered by Blogger.

What I'm Reading

Annie's bookshelf: currently-reading

The GiverThe Devil Wears PradaEnder's GameFahrenheit 451Gone With the WindSense and Sensibility

More of Annie's books »
Annie's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

© 2011 Annie Learns., AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena