Evaluated Thoughts

Monday, May 9, 2011

The thing about having an on-line presence is...

We all know them: friends on facebook, blogger, etc. who feel the need to give us every detail of their lives, whether it's interesting or not. I remember a "friend" on facebook announcing to the internet that he was finally getting around to washing his sheets. Now THAT, is too much information. Because of these kinds of incidents, it has really made me hesitant to have an "active on-line presence" and put content on-line everyday. I don't want people to get sick of me and I don't want people to feel like all I do is sit on the internet all day (even if I actually do--that's what happens when you work in an office).

So when we were given the expectation of creating on-line content five days a week, it was a very daunting task for me. Up to this point, I rarely, if ever, update my facebook status. I had the same profile picture for 2 years. I started a personal blog 10 months ago, but I would rarely post more than twice a week. I got in this funk of feeling that if I put too much, no one will read it and they will grow weary of my "on-line presence."

I'm starting to realize through the help of my writing class that it's not about the frequency that makes for memorable content, it's the thought and quality that goes behind it. If you approach the content you are putting out there for all of the world to see with even a little thought about who will read it, what kind of things you like to see on-line, etc., you will see that your on-line presence is not a beast of burden for other people: it will be a pleasure. It goes back to Dr. Burton's crede that "a blog is NOT a monologue." If people gave this more thought, the internet world of social networking would be a far greater place.

1 comments:

  1. I just hope you are thinking about your online presence, and not just in the negative sense of what might happen if you are "out there." Remember that there are also risks to NOT be "out there." Think about texting and mobile phones. Don't you wonder about people who choose to protect their privacy by not carrying a cell phone? They have their problems, but they are pretty much essential today. Before long, not having an online identity will mean not having a functional identity for most of the things our society is engaged in.

    ReplyDelete

Just finished

Annie's bookshelf: read

The Bluest EyeSulaThe GiverThe Devil Wears PradaEnder's GameFahrenheit 451

More of Annie's books »
Annie's  book recommendations, reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists
Powered by Blogger.

What I'm Reading

Annie's bookshelf: currently-reading

The GiverThe Devil Wears PradaEnder's GameFahrenheit 451Gone With the WindSense and Sensibility

More of Annie's books »
Annie's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

© 2011 Annie Learns., AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena